Friday 26 May 2017

Star Wars: Hera and Chopper


Hera Syndulla is a strong leader and skilled pilot. I struggled with her orange flight suit, but really enjoyed her overall. She's got a good colour scheme, and her skin is an interesting tone. I freehanded some concentric rings onto her lekku, which I'm pretty happy with.

C1-10P makes R2-D2 look like a model of decorum. He's a grubby astromech who is constantly grumbling, and his defining moment is when he callously pushes a rival droid out of an airlock in front of witnesses. There are Reddit threads about how many people Chopper has killed... I'm a fan, and he too was fun to paint.

Both these characters got cameos in Rogue One. I do hope I can complete the rest of the Ghost's crew.

Addendum:

I've been asked to show Hera's lekku patterns, and took the opportunity to show her face with better lighting. The patterns are a rough simplification, but I think they suffice.



19 comments:

  1. Nice work! I'm definitely picking these two up, as they aren't part of the Wotc line of figures. Hopefully the rest of the Rebels cast get their own figures too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely brilliant! The circular detail on Hera really makes her a bit special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did simple circles- Matt did a proper job: http://www.oldenhammer.com/2017/05/jawa-scavenger-hera-chopper-0-0-0-and.html

      Delete
    2. Oh my, they are a bit good too.

      Delete
  3. Very nice indeed mate. Orange is a really hard colour to do convincingly and you've pulled it off in spades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I built up experience with the halflings last year. I'm very happy with Chopper, but Hera's flight suit has a yellow tinge I don't think I caught.

      Delete
  4. Very cool Barks - love the backstories and those oranges look great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paul, I'm looking forwards to giving them a spin.

      Delete
  5. Awesome work - nice rich tones you've achieved on these figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, PC, they're good fun to paint.

      Delete
  6. They are beautiful, Barks! I like how you managed to make Chopper look gritty without making him dark or smudgy. And the colours on Hera really pop. I'd love to see some more pictures of her from the back so we can inspect your freehand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Great work. One more vote for "the colours are perfect". Hera's great and you did indeed make Chopper suitably battered/grimy looking. I like the slightly streaky look of the white parts on it. Now I've seen two great takes on these in one week, not bad :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Allison! I like how a simple oil streak adds a lot of character.

      Delete