Friday 17 August 2018

Space Hulk- It begins...

I've been circling, shark-like, my 2014 copy of Space Hulk since, well, 2014. Nipping at it and withdrawing every now and then. I've decided the time has come to get into it, and this post shows some of my preliminary moves.

I poked a brush at a couple of 'stealers for the Analogue Challenge in early 2016. I found a carapace and flesh technique I was pretty satisfied with.

The delay in getting to the Terminators is due, in no small part, to my difficulties with painting red. Army Painter Pure Red spray is a godsend. I did a practice figure first:


I refined my technique- a dark brown pinwash, then medium and light orange edge highlights. Emboldened, I painted the dead Terminator. I thought that if I stuff it up, then I can add weathering to hide the flaws. But I was pretty happy with the result, albeit exhausted at the time it took.


He looks like he got bored waiting. I like the helmet damage.

I've fired up the Skullometer: the dead terminator reads a respectable 27, mostly from his throne.

Next time: the Librarian

6 comments:

  1. > He looks like he got bored waiting.
    Apprentice librarian sent out for a long wait :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Space Marines would have the funniest hazing rituals and japes.

      Delete
  2. Nice work. Love the skull counting. Probably an hour of painting just for the skulls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Skulls are fine, it is the blood drops that kill me...

      Delete
  3. I like the skullometer. My boy's reaction, upon entering a GW for the first time was, "What's with all the skulls?".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you embrace the spikez and skullz, grimdark enjoyment increases.

      Delete