Friday 27 January 2023

Starship Troopers: Brain Bug

I wasn't a fan initially of Starship Troopers (1997) as I felt it veered wildly from the tone of Heinlein's 1959 novel, but I grew to appreciate it as satire.

The authoritative Goonhammer history of the Starship Troopers Miniatures Game says "... anyone who has assembled the brain bug is truly a hero of the federation."

This miniature was an absolute nightmare and has been an albatross around my neck for at least fifteen years. The brain bug is five solid hunks of metal which don't remotely fit together. Mine is more Milliput than metal. It is carried by an entourage of chariot bugs. There is no clean fit of them to the brain bug, and I used two-part epoxy to try and get them to fit. The epoxy wasn't well mixed and turned into this frustrating tacky mess that has followed me on multiple house moves.

Picture from a keen eBay seller. Look at the flashing...

As I've found previously, however, AHPC theme rounds to the rescue! A bit of impetus has seen this bug finished. I was able to strip the tacky epoxy and used a MDF base to keep the chariot bugs in place. I drilled out a few holes in the bottom of the brain bug for pinning with nails into the base. Painting was the easiest part, using Army Painter Speedpaints Crusader Skin, Pallid Bone, Slaughter Red, and Grim Black.


Anvil Digital Forge troopers for scale.


Gloss to the eyes


Chariot bugs. Note the nails for pinning.

14 comments:

  1. Great job! I also have a part assembled brain bug in storage, so I am familiar with how tricky it is.

    I had not read Starship Troopers before I saw the movie, which I loved for its satirical approach from the first moment that I saw it. I had read Harry Harrison's "Bill the Galactic Hero" many times before I saw Starship Troopers, and it is possibly, arguably a better primer for the tone of the movie than Heinlein's book.

    Those two books to are an interesting contrast in the work of two authors who each went into the military around the same time. One bought into it and the other did not.

    Either way I love the SST movie and many of the models from the game. Its great to see this big, fat, smart bug again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I will have to chase down that other novel.

      Delete
    2. Bill the Galactic Hero is a treat and well worth tracking down. There are some sequels as well.

      Delete
    3. That's bill with two ls. Two ls are for officers, scum!

      Delete
  2. I have a 3D printed proxy sitting on the paint table, sounds like I made the right choice after that construction :-)
    Great movie which whilst very different from the book is still a great watch.
    My challenge was getting the colour right - what did you use?
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, which proxy have you got? I used Army Painter Crusader Skin over a White Vallejo spray. Done!

      Delete
    2. Found one on Etsy - here's my blog post with the details.
      https://dusttears.blogspot.com/2022/01/dispatches-from-front-xxi-butterfly.html
      Cheers
      Stu

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a monster! I can see why it was a hell of an experience, but I'd say the results paid off. I watched the movie years before reading the book (which I think was strangely better in this case, as they hardly have much in common). Whatever the case, the mini is awesome and you made a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I view them as two different retellings of the same event.

      Delete
  4. Aaagh, the brain bug. Truly an enemy to hate. Fantastic job on the mini, that line of figures was truly awesome. I did enjoy the movie, but am partial to parody. The want to know more, click here lines were hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nicely done Barks! You have done a great job with what is obviously a difficult model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ben! I've picked up a few tricks over the years since I first confronted it.

      Delete