Friday 3 May 2019

Bilbo Baggins

I think I'm quite ready for another adventure. I'm being sucked towards FFG's new Journeys in Middle-Earth game, and realised I can fill most of the figures using GW's old range*. I don't have a painted Bilbo, and so took the opportunity to paint up this little guy.
And he really is little; I'm sure I've got bigger 18mm figures! I need to redo the base rim.

I wasn't alone in being disappointed by The Hobbit film trilogy, but you can't deny Martin Freeman was perfect casting. Here he is, in fine form:


*Except the females- there's only three women in Middle-Earth, and FFG adds two more...

15 comments:

  1. Bilbo is really small!!
    Nice job!
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have done Bilbo very proud, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work! I concur, the casting of Martin Freeman was a total win for the movie; you made his representation justice :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work on Mr. Baggins, Barks. We went to France last month for vacation and I had to endure 10 hrs of flying for us to get into Paris - to help absorb some of the time I re-watched the entire Hobbit trilogy on seatback. Yes, some of it is truly execrable (the Mario Bros themed chase scenes make me absolutely mental), but there is a lot of things to love as well. Mr Freeman is one of those (a well-placed 'bird' facing Smaug would have been brilliant).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm treating them a bit like the Star Wars prequels- I pretend they don't exist, except for the bits I liked (e.g. Martin Freeman, the dwarves singing, Darth Maul).

      Delete
    2. Wait, Darth Maul is in the Hobbit! ;) (Him riding Radagast's rabbit sled would have been so cooool.)

      Delete
  5. Great stuff Barks! And that video was brilliant lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just found your blog and am thoroughly enjoying it! Thanks for showcasing these models.

    As for Freeman, alas I can and do deny it. He made no effort at all to dovetail with Ian Holm's performance. He just twitched looked puzzled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome aboard! Glad to have you with us.

      He may have twitched and looked puzzled, but I still think he did a fine job. I’m happy to concede a change in character over many decades.

      Delete