Saturday 1 February 2020

CanCon Lord of the Rings

I participated in a Middle-earth tournament at CanCon last weekend. Apart from that one game a few weeks ago, I haven't played in about ten years.

There were four 500 point games, all running under 90 minutes. My Mordor list was two orc captains, a troll chieftain, and thirty-six orcs including two banners. No cavalry, ranged attacks, or magic for me! I didn't have the desire to get to grips with all the new rules.
My orcs

Heirlooms of ages past


My opponent ran Uruk-hai scouts, and with their enhanced movement he was able to run on the board, find the objective, and run away. 6-2 loss.
Orcs try to close on the scouts

Storm the camp


This was the most frustrating match. I advanced about halfway over the board before being shot to pieces by two (!) Isengard siege bows. Very unsatisfying 6-0 loss.
Distant siege bows pummel the river crossing

Domination


This was an interesting match-up between Isengard wargs and my orcs in constraining urban terrain. I circled in the centre and weathered his charges to a 5-5 draw.
Troll defends against swarming warg riders

Capture and control


I was a bit over things by this stage and threw myself at Gothmog and his Morannon orcs. Not more Isengard, thankfully! Gothmog was way too much for my guys to handle as he stormed a rickety walkway. 8-4 loss.
Gothmog takes the bridge

It was good to dust off some old figures, but I didn't have the energy to learn the new rules tweaks and I was outmatched at the list-building step. It was a long way to go to be hammered repeatedly. I didn't mind playing against all Evil forces. There were 34 players, and I came 32nd.

The terrain was pretty good, the scenarios were fine, and most of the armies were excellently painted.
Here's some pictures of terrain and armies:







Best painted army

Tournament winner- Hunter orcs







I was disappointed in the organisation- a lot of it was run through a private Facebook group which wasn't advertised (!), and it ran about an hour overtime which made me grumpy before a very long drive home.

I'd consider playing again, but am more interested in the warband-size Battle Companies rules.

8 comments:

  1. Some great pieces on the table and impressive looking terrain. I have not played LOTR for around 8 years, but still love my Rohan boys as bad as they are

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is like riding a bicycle- it all comes back. Except all the kids have better bikes...

      Delete
  2. Never played it but it looks good! Sounds like a bit of a frustrating day nonetheless. The scenarios sound interesting though - they might be useful for other game systems.

    Good to see you mate - hope we get time for a beer next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is actually a pretty good system, but I don't think the tournament scene is my favourite. The 'historical scenarios' are pretty good as well, as are any small points game.

      Delete
  3. I have to say I love the pics -all of them. An army worth of Mordor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like losses or no, your orcs pleased Crom with their valor. But yeah, driving back in the late hours... not so good ☹️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And driving whilst grumpy isn’t fun either.

      Delete