Friday 17 December 2021

40K Ryza Ruins

I've had these for a few years, but following a surge in my interest in grimdark skirmishes, it was time to get them painted. I prefer my scenery to merge with the tabletop rather than plonk directly onto it, so cut and sanded some MDF bases. I had a flash of inspiration and used Renedra square bases to make some interior floor tiling for texture. I also had a 3D printed crater floating about which I glued down on one base and I think works well. I built up the groundwork using Sculptamold for the first time, which I was pretty happy with. Then I glued down rubble and sand with a lot of watery PVA. I sprayed them black, then an overspray of gunmetal. I sponged on some orange, then a watery coat of red-brown craft paints. Finally I dry brushed the bases in browns and creams. There is plenty of detail I have not picked out.



The collection

The raised hoarding gives a slight Old West feel to this one building only, but I am not sure if I really like this.



I left the roofs separate for ease of painting with the intent of gluing them later, but they are a snug and secure fit so I have left them unglued.


The buildings can match with GW pipes, but they are a little offset due to my MDF bases.



I cannot decide if I prefer the modularity of two separate corners, or if I would have preferred the aesthetic appeal of one larger base.


Overall, I like these sturdy pieces and you will see them often.

8 comments:

  1. Nicely done. Great use of scrap and extra bases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great. I painted some of these last year and they certainly look better with the basing on.

    For the hoarding piece, it may look good if there was some chipped paint, or graffiti on to show that someone has been there fairly recently?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got some more 40K scenery in my to-do pile, and I'll base them as well.

      Delete
  3. I understand what you say about modularity vs a large base, but it's a thing you shouldn't overthink, it works perfectly the way it is.
    The only logical solution is to build a large one and compare. It's the only way to be sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff mate - I love terrain and you've done these ones very nicely. I think your approach is great for flexibility and utility across a range of games.

    And we all know it wont be the last one you build anyway... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll snaffle some up If I find them, but these ruins are becoming ruinously rare and expensive!

      Delete