Friday 5 May 2023

Gaslands and Briscon

I was in Brisbane last weekend, and realised to my good fortune that Briscon was happening. In the nightmare petrol-guzzling dystopian mire maze that was the carpark, I received good preparation for a Gaslands Refuelled particiption game. Ross Williams ran this as well as made all the scenery and cars. The tyre piles are sliced Nerf rounds.

My car with front-facing minigun and molotov cocktails

Buggy with rocket turret and shotgun

Car with turreted machine guns and napalm dropper

The course. Ross proudly told us that noone had made it to the second gate.

Start your engines!

We race to the first gate, which activates weapons.

I veer infront of the buggy and drop a molotov accurately on it

Mayhem! I dodge a rocket; napalm is dumped and the buggy crashes into the other car

Both my opponents blow up, I try to squeeze through the eye of the needle
and we called the game. Great fun!

Other participation games I saw included Lion Rampant crusades and Wings of Glory. There was an impressive 15mm Johnny Reb display game of Gettysburg, but it lacked any explanation or crowd-wranglers. I'm getting crotchetty.

Early evening July 2 1863



Peach Orchard with Little Round Top in the distance

There were a few tournaments going on, including Armada (Star Wars and Mantic), Battletech, Bolt Action, DBA, Team Yankee, 9th Age, Kings of War, Star Wars Legion, and One Page Rules' Grimdark Future.

I had a good time at the bring & buy stand, including an absolute bargain on OOP Forgeworld renegade milita and metal Catachans.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lot of fun was had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, the Gaslands game looks like a lot o fun, but that Gettysburg board is so impressive! :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was! If I'm being sniffy, it could have done with a map.

      Delete
  3. Looking good Barks nice touch with the explosions and flames.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit easy to overdo it in Gaslands...

      Delete
  4. It sounds like a fun event. Interesting to see what's popular and being played in your part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is in Queensland, it's another state, they're really nothing like us.

      Delete