Friday 8 December 2023

A trial of chipping

In which I try using some Vallejo 73.214 Chipping Medium.

I had some gothic shipping containers lying about, and sprayed them AP Chaotic Red, then stippled on some orange. When dry, I liberally slapped on Chipping Medium with a brush, let that dry, and sprayed it white. After that had dried, I attacked it with a wet toothbrush. It wasn't enough, so I also used a wire brush. Again, when dry, I added some details and transfers.

Undercoated and stippled orange

It looks good, but I feel I can get a similar effect with a sponge much quicker. Furthermore, sponging on the effect gives me more predictability. It was a bit hard to control how much effect and where it would be. There's still room in my armamentarium for this.

What deathworld does this hail from?

The finished containers

Skull-o-meter™: 20

8 comments:

  1. I have survived a trip to the hive city of Birmingham. According to my tactical advisor, Lt Ripley, the only safe course of action,' is to Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure!'

    ReplyDelete
  2. The end result is great, but it seems like overkill. I support the sponge approach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be interesting if I had a big piece of scenery. Otherwise, sponges.

      Delete
  3. Both techniques look very good JB! I've enjoyed using chipping medium before too, but agree it was a bit more effort than I thought it would be. Looks good though :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paul! I've got a few projects I could use it on but you've got to plan for it early...

      Delete