Friday 1 December 2023

40K Tyranid Combat Patrol

The Tyranid slippery slope continues... so here's my Combat Patrol. I'm thinking of calling it Splinter Fleet Glaurung.

Tyranid Combat Patrol

They're led by a winged Tyranid Prime. I'm neither a huge fan of winged big 'nids, nor this sculpt's original pose with the wings down like a walking bat. It was an easy conversion to a wings-up pose.

Winged Tyranid Prime

The big beasty is a Psychophage, a gribbly that loves to feed on psykers and releases a corrosive ash from its digestive vents on its back. The original model has the smoke effects modelled on- it is easy to carve them off.

Psychophage

There are three Von Ryan's Leapers, named after a throwaway line in the 3rd Edition Codex (2001). They look pretty cool.

Von Ryan's Leapers

Another new gaunt variant is the Barbgaunt. There's a ganglio-parasite that pilots the main beast as it carries around a RPG-like organism that fires transfixing barbs. Targeted units are slowed down. Not my favourites, but nice to have them done.

Barbgaunts

Barbgaunt

Finally, twenty termagants. I 'merely' had to paint another thirteen after my initial brood of seven. These are the old sculpts, not the nice new ones.

Termagants

I've just acquired Jon Hodgson's Sci-Fi Backdrops book, which you will be seeing more of.

Behind the scenes of the VFX at 20th Century Barks Studios

12 comments:

  1. You have a small and very nice swarm. I like a lot the desert colours.
    Behind the scenes make me laught. So good.
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They are not the brightest or most contrasting colours, but they do tie it all together.

      Delete
  2. I can't keep up with all the new critters. I suppose the Imperium must feel like that at times. The backdrop book looks pretty cool. Hopefully it will appear on the other side of the pond without crazy postage...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm not a fan of all the new bugs either. International shipping is a drag.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I lovce your colur scheme, looks gorgeous. Pretty lovely work there, and the backdrop looks so great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choice in colors. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've struggled with a convincing colour scheme for 'nids for years now - never liking the test model that I have created. I love these muted colours and will likely give this a go when time allows! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think 'nids can reward a bright and contrasting scheme. The real trick is repeating anything across scores of models...

      Delete
  6. These look great! I also like your chipping test on the other post. Really great results there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm trying for speed and quantity at the expense of detail now. With mixed results...

      Delete