Saturday 17 August 2013

Zulu! Speedpaint redcoats

First trial figure

HäT British Infantry. Prep and base to taste- after a soapy warm water wash mine were PVA'd to 20mm washers and then the bases were built up with some filler and sand. I didn't de-flash these figures at all. I use a bit of wood with magnetic tape on it to hold my figures for spraying- it allows me to easily get to all the underhangs. I believe I got this idea from an old White Dwarf, actually.
Natal Native Horse in the background



Colours used (Derivan Minis unless otherwise noted):
  • Army Painter Skeleton Bone spray
  • Vallejo MC 70.995 German Grey
  • Prussian Blue
  • Roman Red
  • White
  • Celtic Green
  • Light Chestnut
  • Flesh
  • Silver
  • Desert Stone
  • Vallejo 73.300 Sepia Shade wash


These are your magical time-savers

  1. Basecoat Army Painter Skeleton Bone
  2. Boots grey; trousers blue; jacket red
  3. Webbing, piping etc. white. Green to collar tabs and cuffs. I blocked in all of the epaulettes, then filled in the middle with red and did the piping on the trousers.
  4. Rifle: brown with grey metalwork. Grey for the bayonet scabbard as well.
  5. Flesh, sideburns, bayonet. Touch up the helmet with Desert Stone if required.
  6. Sepia wash. I paint this on, and try to brush away any pooling.
  7. Flock to taste



I've slightly refined the process since these pictures were taken. I do the boots at the same time as the rifle (Step 4), and I paint the buttons and belt buckle gold (Step 5).


PS: I was this close to having posts titled 'Zulu3', 'Zulu: Resurrection', 'Zulus vs. Redcoats', 'ZvR: Requiem', etc.

8 comments:

  1. Nice work, certainly gives a good effect. Are you in touch with all the old dinosaur gamers up in Newcastle? The ones playing ancients in 25mm ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Doug! I think I've crossed paths with that bunch (Novocastrian Battlegamers, IIRC), but I do more of my club gaming with the Newcastle Legion. Why can't we all just get along?!

      Delete
  2. Great job. And, you have all those nifty titles yet to be used on future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inspiring Barks. They look great. I really need to do this to have a chance of getting my next battle fought with actual figures.

    ReplyDelete