Saturday 19 April 2014

Battlelore- Uthuk Y'llan

Uthuk Y'llan
I have no idea how to pronounce Uthuk Y'llan. The Uthuk are chaos-worshipping desert nomads who mutate with bony shards growing from their skin. In painting them, I wanted to emphasize the dark blood red and the bone and the flesh.

The archers- The Viper Legion- are too cool for poison arrows, they use real snakes instead. Mmm-hmm. Like the Daqan archers, they too point their finger when shooting. This figure also demonstrates why I am against cast bowstrings on miniatures (I also don't like adding my own, I'd rather have an empty space).
Viper Legion
Viper Legion

The Blood Harvesters have bad-ass mullets. I liked the idea of a big bony claw instead of a metal blade.
Blood Harvesters

The Flesh Ripper Brutes are seriously nasty, and probably my favourite unit and sculpt in the game.
Flesh Ripper Brutes

The Obscenes are quite comfortable with their body image, thank you very much. I struggled with the faces, for some reason, but not their bellies or skin folds.
Obscenes

The Chaos Lord, despite the dull name, looks like the product of an unholy threesome between a balrog, a bloodthirster, and great Cthulhu. I'm quite happy with the final appearance on this dynamic sculpt. I wasn't sure what colour to paint his tentacles, but decided on a fleshy tone.
Chaos Lord

Other artwork © FFG

13 comments:

  1. They do look dam good mini's. Nice paintjobs on them all as well. The chaos lord looks ace and suitably imposing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great. They should add a lot to your games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well painted Sir! Great job on the "Pongo Gutbag" types. All in all, some pretty scary figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good one, Col, I won't tell them what you called them...

      Delete
  4. I really like the flesh-tones on the Obscenes. Also, you really captured the texture on the Chaos Lord. All in all, some nicely painted work sir.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What primer did you use? black? What paints, gloss, varnish or finish did you use! These minis are awesome! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Thanasis! I used a white primer and acrylic paints (Derivan MiNiS, now out of production). I used some Vallejo Flesh wash on a lot of the skin. I finished with Micador Matt spray varnish.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for sharing this information! :) Which exatcly primer do you use? I am planning to start painting my Battlelore minis too. I have already bought some army painter colors and inks and I am searching for good primer(s) and varnishes..

      Delete
    3. I used Citadel Skull White spray primer. The Army Painter stuff is good, have fun!

      Delete
    4. Thank you very much! I will go for it!

      Delete