Friday 2 November 2018

Kill Team- first games

I had my first games of Kill Team recently. The skirmish size made it a fascinating prospect as I have no proper size 40K army, but handfuls of models here and there which are suitable for grimdark gaming.

My Genestealer Cult Kill Team:
  • Leader- Neophyte with Bolt Pistol and Chainsword
  • Zealot- Aberrant with Power Pick
  • Veteran- Purestrain Genestealer
  • Medic- Neophyte with shotgun
  • Acolyte with Rock Saw
  • Neophyte with Flamer
  • Neophyte with Grenade Launcher
  • Acolyte with Autopistol x2
  • Acolyte with Icon
  • Neophyte with shotgun
My opponent had four of the new Primaris Marines, which are lovely models. He also took three Scout Snipers. We played a simple kill-'em-all non-campaign learning game.

Kill Team about to break cover

Sniper nest

Primaris (Primarises? Primarii?) on the high ground

Cultists advance

Om nom nom on the snipers

Marines trapped on a walkway

My opponent was great, explaining rules patiently. I had some excellent dice rolls and his were appalling- the game didn't go how I expected! I survived a hail of shots and chomped my way through his force.

My next game was against the Adeptus Mechanicus, a steampunk-aesthetic force. My plan was to charge them like the first game, but I got utterly mown down for my troubles.
Cult advance across rubble to the defended ruins

Flanking 'stealer gets shot by overwatch

Cult gets stuck in open and is gunned down

The flamer is great, but the grenade launcher less so. Shooting is not my strength. I'll beef up some of the close combat options.

I’m conflicted about this game. The setting and models are great, and the main drawcard. It has been fun to revisit my ill-spent youth again. But the game mechanics are clunky and not as elegant or polished as other games I’ve been playing. In particular, the hit-wound-save-effect roll sequence is tedious, the weapon options and skill trees are overwhelming, and movement and line of sight can be a source of disagreement and slows the game compared to a gridded board. The lack of any suppression is off-putting. It has the advantage of being popular and thus it is easy to find opponents and games. I don't think I would enjoy this competitively, although of course this would depend on my opponent. Ultimately, I do look forward to making more teams and will be playing more.

It allows me to get my toys on the table. I will be playing again. I'll name and come up with a backstory for my dudes, and hope to participate in a campaign which will give me even more investment in my team.

8 comments:

  1. I think this is the problem with GW in general these days they make great minis but the rules appear to be stuck back in the 90s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me Kill-team is a little nostalgia burst - painting models and playing rules like back in the 90's without having to buy a whole army of anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice looking game and scenery,I'm resisting the draw of kill team and 40k your post confirms what Ive suspected, I've moved on,weve all moved I ,GW haven't really!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To my surprise the fluff has pulled me back in this year. It gives me motivation to get some figures painted that have been sitting about for a while.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the review. Definitely thinking about trying this early next year. Movement and LoS issues seem to trouble a lot of minis games. What grid games are you thinking of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dedicated gun crawls such as Doom, Imperial Assault, Blackstone Fortress, Space Hulk, Mansions of Madness, Zombicide, etc.

      Delete