Friday 29 May 2020

How I paint genestealers; with group cult shot

Here's how I paint my genestealers. I've refined this over a few years to give reproducible, reasonably quick, good-looking models in the classic indigo-lilac scheme. Of course, character models can have more care and attention applied.

Eight I finished this week

Preparation


Assemble, undercoat black, complete the basing. (I do the basing before the figure because it is easier to tidy up the base afterwards than to get bits of basing off the figure.) Here, I've used 32mm bases which are more stable.

Carapace


  • Heavy drybrush Vallejo 70.899 Dark Prussian Blue
  • Drybrush Army Painter Wolf Grey
  • Selected edge highlights AP Ice Storm

Just highlight the bits that catch the light- speed and roughness are OK here because the lighter skin tones later will deflect attention from any mistakes made during this step.

Skin


  • AP Toxic Boils
  • VJ 73.204 Flesh Wash
Highlights:
  • AP Toxic Boils
  • AP Toxic Boils/ AP Elven Flesh
  • AP Toxic Boils/ AP Elven Flesh/ VJ 70.820 Off White
I paint the skin lilac and wash it with VJ Flesh Wash, which is magic. Then highlights mostly on the face and eyes.

Claws


  • AP Matt Black
  • AP Ash Grey
  • VJ 70.820 Off White to the absolute tips

Eyes


  • AP Phoenix Flames. Less is more

Temple veins


  • AP Blue Tone

Tongue


  • AP Barbarian Flesh
  • VJ 73.206 Red Shade

Teeth


  • AP Corpse Pale

Final touches


  • Base rim
  • Matt varnish

These are the colours that do the heavy lifting


I haven't posted my cult on here for a while- Millsy and Paul OG made me promise to do a group shot of my cult, so I've been putting off this sobering moment.

The Guiding Hands

Are you happy now?

11 comments:

  1. I always like seeing family pictures ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quite a haul.
    Lock and load boys :-)
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look so great. The group pic is imposing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks awesome mate, thanks for the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the group shot was well worth the wait too, great stuff :-)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Paul, glad to hear it!

      Delete
  5. Looking good. Very happy for the end of term photo shot

    ReplyDelete