Friday 1 May 2020

Soviet NBC troops

Is there anything more terrifying than Soviet gasmasks?

I painted ten of these Eureka figures over ten years ago and really liked them, so I got another five riflemen to round them out. I finally got around to painting these five last week- shame on me! I took the opportunity to finish off some details on my originals, and to rebase them. My paints and painting style have changed, but these were refreshingly quick compared to a lot of the GW stuff I've found myself slogging through lately.

GP-5 gasmasks

Leader has a GP-5m with 'voicemitter'

PKM machine gun

SVD marksman rifle

DP-12 Contamination Survey Meter. This figure is a ringer for art in Osprey Elite #12
Osprey Elite #12 Inside the Soviet Army today

AT-3 Sagger operator. Minimum range 500m!
So now I've gone and ordered a copy of Zona Alfa... I can see some sort of subterranean Stranger Things/ Delta Green thing coming on... The bear came over the mountains of madness?

PS: If you haven't seen HBO's Chernobyl, it is superb.

PPS: Oh no, I just saw Eureka has more figures in this range... may need to get them...

PPPS: I would love these in 15mm.

PPPPS: I really need a BRDM or a BTR...

13 comments:

  1. Superb! What a great way to round of the collection! I agree about Chernobyl, gripping television.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m really tempted by Eureka’s RPG and flamethrower troops to complete my collection...

      Delete
  2. I turned down an opportunity a couple of years back to try on this type of kit... there is a nuclear bunker under the castle in Brno, in the Czech Republic, which is open to visitors, staffed by volunteers. They have a lot of this stuff.

    If ever you are in Brno, check this out. For a Brit, interesting to see things from the other side...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cold War tourism is certainly a thing I'd be tempted by.

      Delete
  3. See a wargamers list is never done.
    Great paint job.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Stu, there is no end in sight.

      Delete
  4. Wow, these are great! I love how they look, totally scary in so many ways. Top notch.
    Oh, of course, please get more!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. > I can see some sort of subterranean Stranger Things/ Delta Green thing coming on.

    That sounds amazing!

    These look very good... I like the white colour of the masks; it's extremely distinctive. I've seen a few of these in the army surplus store, and they are definitely weird and sinister in a way that typical black rubber Western masks are not. Or are less so anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been tempted by these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They’re pretty good, don’t hold back.

      Delete
  7. I think we have the same plan, though I started with the tank crew and the sniper, leader and the guy with the scanning gear. Just have to find a good, cheap enough source for Soviet era zombies and the other creepy stuff from Stalker/Zone Alfa.

    ReplyDelete