Friday 22 July 2022

Invertebrates of the Underhive

Individually pathetic, swarms of rockworms can be a significant threat. They can be found in the Underhive as well as the Ash Wastes. Underhive rumours persist of rockworms growing to prodigious size...

The lost male cries plaintively.

Should have left the door closed...

These are Rockworm Grubs from Imitation of Life. I'm trying out the new Army Painter Speedpaints range. These are mostly Slaughter Red and Pallid bone. Slaughter Red in particular dries nice and matte with good shading.

I originally had these on thicker GW style bases, but the aesthetic proportions weren't satisfying. Then I tried some multibasing, but still wasn't happy. The svelte Renedra bases were fine in the end.

This chap is delightful, and free:

I do like the idea of a big game hunting Rogue Trader retinue- a magos biologos, deathworld veterans, beast handlers, indigenous trackers etc. Pith helmets, xeno-elephant guns, grimdark David Attenborough/ Steve Irwin stuff.

12 comments:

  1. Awesome! Great work again.
    I love this worms and enjoy a lot the rules of the renegade beastmaster. Snif... The wonders years...
    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely looking back a quarter-century...

      Delete
  2. I really regret selling my old millisaurs. The IOL ones definitely scratch the itch though....nicely channeling the old school vibe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never had the originals. I'm a big fan of IoL.

      Delete
  3. Eeeek! The swarm looks scary!! I've been using myself Renedra bases for almost averything lately, and I find them much more satisfying than GW-like ones. So I totally support your work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the fat bases for miniatures, but not for scenery or small/ low figures.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad to see such nice results from the Army Painter Speedpaints. A friend of mine very nicely bought me a box of them, and I've been waiting to try them out on something. I hope whatever I do turn out as nicely as these worms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great friend! They work really well with small details and texture. Big blank swathes of armour, capes, vehicles etc. need more care.

      Delete
  5. They are horrible..,. I love them!

    ReplyDelete