Wednesday 22 November 2023

Twelfth Bloggiversary

 The blog continues for another year!

My Five Parsecs campaign has slowed as I try to reach a narratively satisfying climax within the random dice rolls, but I will knock it over. I'm keen for more Nordic Weasel games, as Ivan Sorensen has a good handle on what makes some solo games better than others.

A bad day for the crew

I make no apologies for tumbling back to the 40K from my teenage years. Now I can afford paints and have amassed a bit of scenery, the setting calls strongly. The latest 10th edition of 40K is more beginner-friendly. I wryly acknowledge the long game GW has played on me over the last few years- well done.

I've really enjoyed writing the battle reports

So many gribblies.

Lamenters! I love their unlucky streak.
The new terminators are great sculpts.

I even got a half of the 'new' 2020 Blood Bowl in last week. I wasn't sure if I would appreciate the changes to a venerable game, but it gets a grudging thumbs up from me.

Elven Union vs Imperial Nobles

The Analogue Challenge remains a highlight of the hobby year, and I hope to participate again next month. Contrast Paints and the new Speedpaints 2.0 are getting much more of a outing as I try to paint faster, sacrificing some perfectionist traits for model quantity.

So glad to finish this SST Brain Bug after many years

Really enjoyed some Lord of the Rings work.

There's more than a few lifestyle changes coming my way next year, but I can't see the underlying hobby itch going away.

Thanks, as always, for following along- the community is a great part of the hobby.

Hurrumph.

How to paint chequers


13 comments:

  1. Well done on reaching your dozen, and many bloggy returns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done dozen. Here's to lots more craziness in space and other realms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post... How funny just putting the final touches to my Brian Bug as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oof, hope you were able to get it together.

      Delete
  4. Happy blog iversary! It's always a pleasure to see your work, and see how another painter evolves over time. I heartily agree with you about learning to paint a bit faster and with less perfectionism. It's a skill that I'm trying to develop too, and banging out models quickly is actually a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The almost-fully painted army is better than the fully painted squad. Besides, I tell myself I can always go back in and patch up errors, add details and highlights...

      Delete
    2. I've been learning to paint fast using a drybrushing and glazing method (might be what they now call slapchop), and one thing I've noticed about it is that you can produce fully painted table ready minis very quickly, and then go back to manually detail them as much as you want, as the opportunities arise.

      Delete
  5. A most joyous Blogiversary good Sir. May your glorious posts flow generously for another twelve, well hopefully more...
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy blogiversary Barks!
    This blog is funny, epic and has a lot of lovely projects.
    It's a great shelter for the hard days.
    Congratulations mate.

    ReplyDelete