Friday 27 February 2015

Star Wars Imperial Assault- Imperial forces


Here's the baddest dude of them all, Darth Vader. I used some slightly too subtle blues and greys to highlight his cloak and armour, and gloss varnished the eyepieces. I worked on his lightsaber and the glow effect using what I had learnt from his 15mm version. I'm quite happy with the outcome.
Darth Vader

Showing a bit more of the lightsaber glow effect

"I shall call him... Mega-Me!"

"There can be only one!"
The Stormtroopers were a real slog, but worth it for these iconic minions. I was influenced by Sorastro's Stormtrooper painting guide video. I used a black wash over a white undercoat, then went back and picked out all the white bits again. I got this stage down to about 30-40 minutes per figure.
Stormtroopers

The E-Web Engineers (dreadful name) were painted the same as the Stormtroopers.
E-Web Engineers

The probe droids are cool. It is hard to tell if the 'real thing' are black, metal, dark grey or dark olive. I went for a dark olive, and used gloss varnish on the lenses.
Probe Droids

I like the officers' leather gloves and jackboots, and the rank badges are nice as well. I don't know Imperial badges of rank; any pointers here gratefully received!
Imperial Officers

The Royal Guard look awesome and implacable, but somehow seem a little improbable given that they're the Emperor's personal guard and I don't think they should be turning up all over the place. I used Army Painter Soft Tone wash over the AP Pure Red spray undercoat, then highlighted the cloak with Pure Red and the very edges of the helmet with a tanned skin colour. Gloss varnish to the visor.
Royal Guard

I don't like painting vehicles, but the AT-ST was easier than I had anticipated. Over a grey basecoat I washed it black then drybrushed it with lighter grey. I used a sponge for a chipping effect. I gave a dusty wash to the feet which came out OK. The head pivots and the chin guns can be elevated and depressed.
AT-ST

Next time: the Mercenary faction.











22 comments:

  1. Nicely Done. On a scale for "Awesomness"....10!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work Barks. I especially like the lighting effect on Darth's cloak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Nath! It was quite fun to do; I wanted it to be noticeable but not overdone, and am happy with the outcome.

      Delete
  3. Superb work! I must get some of these! On the subject of rank badges, there's an insane(ly detailed page written by a chap who was then an enthusiastic amateur, but who now writes stuff for Lucasfilm:
    http://www.theforce.net/SWTC/insignia/officer.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Peter, that article is exactly what I needed!

      Delete
  4. Very nice! I was admiring the game in my LGS the other week. Perhaps later in the year maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marvelous work! I love the surprise appearance by the 15mm "Space Pal" ;) But big Vader is nicely done too :)

    Good colour choice on the Probe Droids, plain grey would be a bit dull and as I recall, the old Kenner toys had the droid in a greenish grey colour. If that's a canon source at all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't miss a chance to get the two of them out, I'm sure they'd have arguments.

      I found (via Google Images) some 1:6 collectible probe droids which seemed to have a dark green-grey hue, and went with that.

      Delete
  6. Very cool mate - love the light sabre OSL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Paul- it was fun, but I wouldn't want to make a habit of it!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful work, the light sabre glow is something I would have never thought of. It's really impressive.

    Everyone else is really great too. The officers faces are superb. The troopers are all lovely. Probably the best Star Wars models I've ever seen.

    You're quite fast too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the kind words, Baconfat!

      Mmm... Baconfat...

      Delete
  8. Awesome! Really good work on all of them. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work, I see you've taken the opposite approach to my "paint em quick" style. these look great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours are cool! I like your Mansions of Madness stuff as well.

      Delete