Friday 5 April 2019

Commands and Colors: Red Alert

C&C Red Alert* is a space fleet combat game based on Richard Borg's Commands and Colors game mechanic. It has just come out after being crowdfunded, with fleets of spaceships made by Plastic Soldier Company. Through a strange miracle, antipodean backers got their games first!

I painted them up quickly, with a spray primer/ wash/ drybrush, and a splash of contrasting colour. The game comes with a giant 4" hex mat. Each ship base is 50x25mm, and the fighters are on 25mm stands.

Commonwealth

Destroyers

Destroyers

Cruisers

Cruisers

Battleships

Carrier

Flagship

Dreadnought

Fighters

Fighters

Confederates

Destroyers

Destroyers

Cruisers

Cruisers

Battleships

Battleships

Carrier

Flagship

Dreadnought

Fighters

Fighters

Neutrals

Transports

Transports

Orbital Station
For the effort taken, I think they look great. I'm keen to give the game a go.
Red Alert


*not to be confused with Command and Conquer: Red Alert, obvs.

12 comments:

  1. Really cool mate. Not sure how I missed this one, I would have been seriously interested

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m sure it will hit retailers soon. Great way to build a quick armada.

      Delete
  2. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the game. It sounds infernally cool and would tempt me as a way of recreating battles a la the Honor Harrington books. One thing I'm wondering though is why not just spray them all black? THere's a scene in one of the Expanse books where a character wonders at a rich man having time and money enough to paint a space yacht when hardly anyone would ever see it. But then it would be hard to tell the sides apart on the able. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think space combat needs a bit of suspension of disbelief...

      It needs a little bit of disconnection from other space games, since momentum and facing/ arcs don’t come in to it. But otherwise it is a quick and fun way to battle... in space!

      Delete
  3. Tasty! I hadn't ever seen these ships and they are great, I love the way ypu painted them. Pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I'm curious to see how this works. C&C seems widely adaptable, but I have to wonder about the limits of the mechanics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With Ancient Triremes, I can see how this would work. As I commented above, if you don't overthink, and just enjoy it, it should be fun.

      Delete
    2. I can attest how great the game is. I am part of the "playtest" group for Richard Borg and after one day and playing 3 scenarios first day of playtesting, I went online and purchased 400 dollars of ships a year before the game was published so I could play while waiting for the official version. You won't be disappointed. Word of Caution though, you must play through all the scenarios before passing judgement, the first 2 or 3 scenarios are for mechanics learning and don't give the full feel of the game.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the insights! I’d love to be a part of that playtest group!

      Delete
  5. Great looking painting Barks. I'm seriously tempted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I accept no responsibility for any wallet pains!

      Delete