Friday 23 October 2020

Suicide Squad

Task Force X, better known as the Suicide Squad, is a shifting team of villains forced to do the US Government's dirty work in a deniable fashion. They've been captured and implanted with brain bombs so if they go off-piste- kablooie! The carrot to that stick is, ostensibly, a reduced sentence. I was surprised to find out how much I liked the ridiculous concept, as it allows any sort of game with any of these disposable antiheroes and their shifting loyalties.

This is the last of my Batman collection; I confess I don't know a lot about many of these villains.

Suicide Squad #50 (2018)

Suicide Squad #34

Not all the Task Force members are villains per se:

Task Force X Command


Amanda Waller


The utterly cold-hearted bureaucrat who directs the Task Force and lives by the maxim 'the end justifies the means'.

Amanda Waller

Suicide Squad #8 (2017)

Rick Flag


He's the model soldier who leads the Squad into combat. I experimented with some digi-cam on his trousers.

Rick Flag

Suicide Squad #50 (2018)

Bronze Tiger


With most superhero comics, the suspension of disbelief required is large. Humanoid animal characters like Bronze Tiger easily shatter the illusion- I am not a fan. He was strangely fun to paint, though- reminiscent of Kung Fu Panda.

Bronze Tiger

Red Hood and the Outlaws #26 (2013)

I know nothing about Bronze Tiger, but I'm getting serious Colonel Chestbridge vibes:



Suicide Squad


Deadshot


The world's greatest marksman.

Deadshot

Suicide Squad #1 (2016)

Deathstroke


An evil mercenary.

Deathstroke

Deathstroke #16 (2016)


Black Manta


Aquaman's nemesis. The eyes came out pretty well.

Black Manta

New Suicide Squad #16

King Shark


I don't like Bronze Tiger, but King Shark is ridiculously enjoyable.

King Shark

Suicide Squad #1 (2011)

Joker's Daughter


She claims to be, well, the Joker's daughter. She found his cut-off face and wears it. I think she tries too hard to be a female Joker.

Joker's Daughter

Joker's Daughter #1 (2014)

El Diablo


He's a Latino gang member who has some sort of pyrokinetic power.

El Diablo

Suicide Squad #4 (2014)

Captain Boomerang


As an Australian, I'm quite happy with the portrayal of Digger Harkness as an amoral, cowardly, backstabbing, lying character, whose sole ability is being good with boomerangs. Oi oi oi!

Captain Boomerang

Suicide Squad #25 (2017)

Other Squad members have included Katana, Killer Croc, and Harley Quinn; all of whom I painted last year.

Katana

Harley Quinn

Killer Croc

4 comments:

  1. Haha, I find your rendition of the characters quite enjoyable! I don't know much of the Suicide Squad (apart from the movie), but I have to say your brushwork is really ace, I like what you did here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suber! The movies were a hot mess...

      Delete
  2. Wild! I like that even Waller has a figure, good for less combat centric RPGs and definitely rounds out the group. They all look great, I think El Diablo is my favorite of the paint jobs, but I also like how you did all the black uniformed characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think Waller could take down the Batman if she so decided.

      I've had to get a bit quicker with my black, thanks for the compliment!

      Delete