Friday 6 December 2019

Journeys in Middle-Earth: 3D printed scenery

Journeys in Middle-Earth has two scenario types- a journey, or a battle. Battles are small skirmishes played on an interesting area grid, with cardboard tokens used for scenery which has in-game effects- shrubs and rocks provide cover, statues can be toppled for damage, etc. Cardboard tokens are a poor  substitute for 3D scenery, and I decided to fire up my 3D printer.

Wait, what, a 3D printer?

Yes- I invested in a small cheap-ish one a year ago and have been dabbling with it for a little while. I decided to push it a bit further than I had previously, and plunged into the addictive world of 3D printed terrain.

The technical details, for those who want to know:

  • XYZPrinting Da Vinci Jr Pro 1.0
  • 0.4mm nozzle
  • 3DFillies Black PLA
  • 0.2mm layers
  • 10% infill
  • 200℃
I've printed some statues, firepits, walls, barrels and tables. I have enhanced the scenery with basing, paint, flock, etc. The Skirt Swisher helped me paint the walls with drybrushing in the Dwarven Forge style.



The portcullis gate opens and closes!


Some of these were free, some designs I bought:


I'm very happy with the appearance- a small table like this is a perfect attainable starting point for a 3D printer project. I'm very much a beginner!

12 comments:

  1. They all look brilliant! I'd love to get a 3D printer, maybe when I'm old and grey.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, I keep wrestling with the idea of investing in one myself. I worry that I lack the technical know how, and patience, to get the best out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s not too bad once it starts chugging along.

      Delete
  3. 3D scenary!!!
    It's a big and surprising Project.
    Diferents elements look so good and have the magic of the middle earth.
    Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had one on my "to buy" list for a while now bit haven't taken the plunge because I am not sure that I have the time to play with it at the moment. I always seem to have so many projects on the go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good work!
    I'm not sold on the 3D printers with the 'print lines' but I believe there are newer ones that use resin and do not have this issue, I'm looking forward to seeing what these produce. Print on demand figures can't be far away...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they're certainly noticeable and unappealing, but I think they're acceptable for scenery. Resin is- I understand- a bit trickier to work with, but the results are gorgeous. You can't really do large pieces, though. I agree that this will disrupt the industry- probably like .pdfs did a decade ago.

      Delete