Friday 26 March 2021

War comes to Rohan

25th March is Tolkien Reading Day, to commemorate the fall of Barad-dûr and the destruction of the One Ring. In my quest for the perfect Lord of the Rings ruleset, I tried Dragon Rampant for the first time. I threw together two forces, we agreed on a rough scenario, and had at it!

Rohan:


30 points; Defending the crossroads on foot with mounted forces to the rescue.

  • Royal Guard (Elite Mounted with leader)
  • Erkenbrand (Elite Mounted hero)
  • Heavy Mounted
  • Heavy Mounted
  • Light Foot
  • Light Foot
  • Archers

Evil:


29 points; Attacking the crossroads

  • Wargs (Heavy Mounted) with Leader
  • Trolls (Bellicose Foot)
  • Uruk-Hai (Bellicose Foot)
  • Orcs (Heavy Foot)
  • Orcs (Heavy Foot)
  • Archers

We started with the Rohan foot around the crossroads, and all other units would move on from the short edges.

View from the orcs' deployment edge

The orcs approach

Distant hoofbeats

Orcs advance as his cavalry sweep to my left

Orc spears repulse the first charge

Cavalry take down the arrow-weakened troll

Orc situation is dire

Cavalry mop up the remnants

It was a pretty convincing victory to Rohan. My orcs bounced off his shieldwall and got peppered by bowshot and then mopped up by cavalry. The heroes and freshly painted Royal Guard never got involved, they just hung back failing their activation rolls!

I liked the variable bounds activation and the courage rules weren't too complex either. Leaders never came into it, and I didn't bother with Boasts. Shieldwalls are tough, and I'd probably tweak some of the units- orcs would be light foot, for example, and the trolls should have better armour. It was about the right level of complexity for the game I wanted to play. I thought the recommended 24 points would be too small, but it probably isn't. I'm keen to expand my experience with Dragon Rampant.

14 comments:

  1. Drop the orcs to light foot and give the Trolls Terrifically Shiny Armour to improve it by 1.

    You could make the Orcs offensive light foot - they get better at attacking but lose the shieldwall. Rohan strikes me as a shieldwall find of army though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, if you set up Glory rewards for the scenario, then Boasts can be very useful. It's actually quite fun to lose the scenario on points but clinch a narrow win because you achieved your personal goals :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'll have a close look at them next time I play!

      Delete
  3. Great looking game mate. You've inspired my to pick the brush up again and paint (yet more) orcs :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m really enjoying your LotR stuff!

      Delete
  4. Not my genre of gaming but your tabletop and figures look great!
    Sounds like it was a good game (for Rohan).
    Look forward to more AARs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Darling, it was good to play a very analogue game!

      Delete
  5. I love it. LotR has always been a solid yet simple ruleset to me. Oh, I'd love to play again, it looks like you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the GW rules for smaller games, but for medium battles it is a bit too fiddly.

      Delete
  6. That was a terrific looking wargame, Barks. I'm thinking of using Pikeman's Lament (similar to DR) for my Siege of Malta project. I like the idea of using something similar for LotR. May have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it worked out quite well, I’d be interested to see how you go with it.

      Delete
  7. Very nice. Did you buy or make your roads?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought them: https://wargamingwithbarks.blogspot.com/2013/03/where-rubber-meets-road.html

      Delete