Tuesday 16 July 2019

Magnetic clear acrylic flight stands

I really didn't like the flight stands that came with these Batman drones, so I bought some magnetic clear acrylic ones from Back 2 Base-ix in Adelaide.
Before and after comparisons

I chopped off the existing bases and drilled a small depression using a 7/64" bit on my Dremel. I superglued the round magnets in place after checking the alignment.
Chop and drill...

... and superglue magnets.

I assembled the flight stands using plastic cement, and superglue to hold the cube magnet. I thought about painting and texturing the bases, but have held off so far- opinions gladly received!
Drone swarm

Drones with guns

Drones with manipulator arms

I like that they come in two heights- 33 and 45mm. I can detach the drones and use the bases for other magnetised flying things.

My sole gripe is that the bases are 32mm despite being described as 30mm.

Bat-tally 61/215 (28%)

13 comments:

  1. Clear stands do look better for flying models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. (But I prefer matt black for spaceships).

      Delete
  2. I have mixed feelings about clear acrylic bases. These do look rather slick, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in the same boat here.

      While I love the floating effect, clear acrylic on bases feel somewhat... Can't find the word. "Underdeveloped". You prime, put several coats of paint, texture etc. then the acrylic is left as is.

      There's also the other way, decorating the base and have a shiny clear stick popping out the base, which doesn't drag the eye as a focal point, at all. ( Roll eyes ).

      Really dunno how to approach it. Wanted that for variable terrain figures like star wars imperial assault, spaceship combat games etc. but can't jump in cause either feels lazy (and adding some texture will defeat clearness purpose, ground units wise) or something that drags the sight too much for my taste.

      Might try those myself and find if they work for me.

      Delete
    2. It's a dilemma! I like the clear stand, but I've got mixed feelings about the base.

      Delete
  3. They suit the drones much better. Nice work Barks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only solution, you nailed it. Nicely done. Besides, I love the drones themselves; I scratchbuilt one for my WH40K Arbites force, but these are really sweet, thanks for discovering them to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very noice. For what it's worth I'd stick with the clear bases - it gives a very clean look and keeps the attention on the drones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll leave it as is. It is the easiest option, and it works OK!

      Delete
  6. Very nice! Definitely an improvement.

    ReplyDelete