Friday 14 August 2020

Journeys in Middle-earth: Shadowed Paths monsters

I've finished off the assorted monsters from JiME: Shadowed Paths. I rebased the bigger figures on 40mm MDF.

Balrog

The Balrog was featured last month, and I'm still really happy with him.

A Balrog of Morgoth

Cave Trolls

I used a dark blue-grey for the scaly bits, which I quite like.

I have two Cave Trolls


Orc Taskmasters


"Where there's a whip, there's a way!" Orc Taskmasters


Pit Goblins


Pit Goblins


Shadow-men

I think they've named these after a throwaway line in Return of the King about the oathbreaking Dead of Dunharrow:

None of the people of the valley dared to approach [the Stone of Erech],

nor would they dwell near;

for they said that it was a trysting-place of the Shadow-men...

Shadow-men


Nameless Things


Similarly, from The Two Towers:

Far, far below the deepest delving of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things.

Whilst painting the Nameless Things, I thought they looked like an a cappella trio, and now I cannot un-see this.

Nameless Things

I'm not inspired by the concept, but I think they're handy generic monster models for other scales and settings. May their painting cleanse the world.

Giant Spiders

I was inspired by Mr Hunt's spiders. All the lines on the legs were more frustrating to paint than I expected!

Giant Spiders

Spawn of Ungoliant


Another oddly fiddly model to paint. Pretty satisfied with the final outcome.

Spawn of Ungoliant

Not a huge fan of the egg sacs

6 comments:

  1. What a great line up.
    Cracking job.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Magnificent. I love them all, but my favourite (hard choice) are the spiders, they are terrifying. The capella trio made me laugh, but now I cannot stop singing "Where there's a whip, there's a way". Look what you've done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the gribbly spiders do make me look twice to make sure one of them isn't moving...

      Delete
  3. Great work... but now *I* have the idea stuck in my head that the worms look like an a capella trio!

    ReplyDelete