Friday 28 May 2021

Aliens

I received the awkwardly named Aliens: Another glorious day in the corps boardgame earlier this year. I wasn't terribly impressed with Gale Force Nine's customer service, but at least I have my toys now. Here are the titular xenomorphs:

In space, no one can hear you in space.

The miniatures are nicely proportioned and detailed hard plastic, but have very little surface area or tabs for gluing, particularly tails-to-torsos and feet-to-bases. My overcomplicated solution to the tail situation was to drill out a 1mm wide cavity in the tail and torso, and to pin it with 1mm styrene rod. I used plastic cement. None of mine have snapped off.

I also used a heat gun to twist the tails into some exciting shapes- do this with caution, some of mine are a little melted!

Drill out the tail- easier than you would think

Glue in rod

Cut to length

Drill that xenobutt

Glue tail, then heatgun to form interesting shapes

Painting was similarly overcomplicated. I drybrushed them gunmetal over a black undercoat, picked out claws and teeth in silver,  then used a black wash followed by a blue wash. Finally a satin varnish and a touch of gloss to their foreheads. It is very hard to capture (and photograph!) the oily rubbery sheen.

I also picked up some expansion packs:




Free hugs!

I used some UHU adhesive for the mucus on the eggs and the queen's mouth- it was really easy and I think it brings these models up a notch.

The eggs don't have bases; I 3D printed some.

15 comments:

  1. Suitably creepy. The critters no doubt in person are even more menacing, such dark surfaces are a pain to photograph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have iconic silhouettes and do look the part. I do think they could benefit from being a little larger, but I’ve probably been spoiled by scale creep.

      Delete
  2. Very nice work. Simple but very effective looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. they look fabulous - is the game any good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Eric. I’m not in a position to say as I refuse to play with unpainted figures! I can say that it has been made respectfully to the film and has an intriguing action economy. The miniatures are lovely.

      Delete
  4. Oh, so great! I'm currently dealing with the Prodos minis and I'm facing the very same issue with tails. I'm afraid I lack both your skills and patience, so I double my admiration for your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn’t realized the Prodos ones had similar issues! Good luck!

      Delete
  5. Drilling that xenobutt... Words I never thought I would read today 😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Words that cannot be un-read…

      Delete
    2. It's probably already a Chuck Tingle e-book.

      Delete
  6. Fantastic work on these xenomorphs, Barks. They look very true to the source material, & that's a nice amount of variety created by reshaping the tails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, PC! The tails are creepy and dangerous, almost with a mind of their own.

      Delete
  7. Great work on these, they look good, the mucus is a nice touch and it looks convincing...oh and I’m not saying anything about xenobutts 🤪...

    ReplyDelete