Friday 14 May 2021

General de Brigade battle report in 18mm- lots of pictures

I was invited to play an introductory game of General de Brigade, using my opponent Gorillamo’s magnificent collection of 18mm Napoleonics from AB Figures. Each figure represents ~20 men, so a 36 figure unit is a 720 man battalion.


I was the French Divisional Commander, with a strong brigade of infantry defending a village from Prussian forces. I had a second brigade of light infantry coming from a random flank at a later point in the game.

Gorillamo had a brigade of militia leading his attack, followed by a second wave of regulars.

Defending brigade of four battalions and artillery;
flanking brigade of two battalions

Light infantry battalion

Line infantry battalion

Artillery (9 pounders, I think)

The village, facing the Prussian axis

Divisional and Brigade commanders confer

Defensive setup. Two battalions forward with skirmishers deployed,
another one in the village, and one in reserve with artillery on the ridge.

Prussian Landwehr militia

Prussians advance with three Landwehr columns abreast

Four regular battalions follow the militia

Artillery harasses the Landwehr

The Landwehr columns deploy into line
as my flanking force arrives to my left

The Prussian flank wheels to face the French light battalions

Musket fire is exchanged

The light battalions deploy in line to reduce cannon casualties


The lines meet in melée


The Landwehr are repulsed as the regular columns approach


The French lights reach the Prussian flank...

... and force them to recoil as the regulars approach the village.


Two Prussian columns strike the village!

The Prussian flank is in trouble!

Prussians take the village and force out the defenders

Game end- the village has fallen,
but there are two French light battalions in the Prussian rear

Effects with LensFX iOS app.

10 comments:

  1. Nice to see table battles, this one looked interesting. The smoke,dust effects were well done, not overwhelming but adding to the narrative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think they help show the flow of the game but I’m always concerned about overdoing it!

      Delete
  2. Great looking figures and game Barks! Great effects on the pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooohhh! That's eye candy! I'm not even into Napoleonics and I'm mesmerised by this. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fun! How did you enjoy the rules? I have played General d'Armee a few times and really liked the C2 system: felt like I was Commanding but not necessarily in control!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit of a learning curve, and nowhere near as quick as Commands & Colors, but much better looking!

      Delete
  5. Great looking game Barks, your friends Napoleonic figures are fantastic!
    I have General d'Armee but have not played them or these, do you think they can be played in an evening with a ‘small’ force or require a longer session?
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really couldn't say; but I think a longer session is required.

      Delete