Saturday 14 September 2019

Batman: Gotham City Chronicles completely painted

Holy painted miniatures, Batman!

Yes, Robin, it was a simple matter of working steadily towards a goal.
Batman: Gotham City Chronicles

Whew! You are no doubt relieved to hear that I'm Bat-done with this Bat-project, from Arkham to Zsasz. I began in late May, so that is over three months of fairly steady painting. It was an achievable goal because it was finite, and I had a year in which to mentally prepare myself before a huge carton arrived. It was mostly interesting painting as well, with bright colours and nothing too complex. (Except for masks- I thought they'd make painting faces easier, but that is not necessarily true!) I had a deadline- which always helps- of the games we played a few weeks back. Towards the end, a lot of the figures were a basecoat and wash, without necessarily a highlight.


Heroes

Villains

I did enjoy the research as well, immersing myself in bat-lore and trying to find the drawings the sculpts were based on. It was one way to celebrate Batman's 80th! If you were only ever going to read one Batman, I'd recommend Hush. Lovely artwork, decent story, and every Bat-villain under the sun.

I have pre-ordered/ crowdfunded a few more Batman miniatures- not as many- and they'll arrive mid-2020, same Bat-Blog!

Indulge me in my wish-list for figures that I'd like which have not been made:
  • Other Batgirls- Stephanie Brown, Cassandra Cain, Batgirl of Burnside
  • Carrie Kelly/ Robin
  • Ace the Bathound
  • Slam Bradley

I'd love to see more of the comical/ kooky villains because the game can be a hilarious romp:
  • Kiteman (Hell yeah!)
  • Condiment King
  • Egghead
  • Crazy Quilt

It comes with a decent selection of thugs and muggers, but I'd like to see some classier cannon fodder such as smartly-dressed gangsters and mercenary contractors. And some Rocket Penguins. And Dollotrons. And maybe some dedicated evil hackers. And a Bat-Signal!

Time for me to relax, revert to 28 and 15mm, settle back into once a week posting, and read something other than Batman.

Thanks for following this journey!
Detective Comics #1000 (2019)
Batman will return to WwB in 2020.

PS After taking the Heroes and Villains shots above, I realised I'd left a few characters out- full marks if you work out who!

8 comments:

  1. Inspiring work Barks, seriously impressive. I hope that you are deservedly chuffed with yourself.

    My immersion in Batman (and a lot of classic DC and Marvel) was due to about six years of Heroclix in the 2000s. My "research" ended around then, but Hush is my favourite Batman book. The story is light, but the art is beautiful and the tour of the rogues gallery is fun for a casual fan.

    There is an inexpensive, prepainted Heroclix Batsignal that might serve your purposes between now and whenever Monolith boardgames make one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheetor, it has been a fun self-contained project.

      Thanks for the Bat-Signal tip!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations!!!
    The models are awesome and your painting job was great during the bat-Project.
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sir, my most sincere Bat-applause. This goes beyond outstanding. Fantastic work, perseverance and results.
    So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for all your support, Suber!

      Delete
  4. May to September on one project. That've put most stalwart hobbyists into Arkham Asylum. Well done Barks, they all look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Curt! I gritted my teeth bat-style and got on with it.

      Delete